The Applications & Benefits of Masonry Restoration
Over time, masonry construction can start to show its age. Even the best-quality masonry will eventually start to deteriorate and crumble due to several factors, including:
- Environment and weather
- Wear and tear
- Weight of the building or construction
- Ground shifting
- Subsequent modifications and additions
Most masonry constructions start to deteriorate at the joints. Masonry joints are made from liquid mortar that hardens after application and holds the stones, bricks or other building materials in place. Over time, this mortar can start to crumble and allow water to infiltrate. Once the process of mortar cracking has begun, it’s only a matter of time before your foundation, walls or supports fail. At the first sign of crumbling or missing mortar, it’s time to call an expert.
The benefits of restoring, instead of replacing, masonry work are numerous:
- You can preserve the historic or traditional nature of your monument or landmark
- You can avoid tearing down portions or all of your structure
- You can enjoy a modern restoration that matches the original style
- You can prolong the life of old buildings, monuments and landmarks
Simply tearing out old masonry work and replacing it with new masonry isn’t always advisable. This is especially the case for historic properties, where tradition and preservation guidelines dictate how historic monuments and buildings must be restored. Our team here at Houck has the experience and knowledge necessary to properly repair your masonry project while respecting the historic value of your site.
Steps to Masonry Restoration
When you approach us with a masonry restoration project, we take the time to understand your requirements and propose the right solutions:
- We inspect your property, monument or building and determine the current condition
- We note all mortar joints that need repair (including joint replacement and tuckpointing)
- We identify loose or damaged areas that require special attention
- We explain our safety measures to protect the public and our workers
When you choose Houck for your masonry restoration project, you can be sure that you’re getting a partner you can count on. We have over 70 years experience in the industry and are a trusted part of the PA construction and restoration community. We are proud of the work we do and will apply our standards of safety, quality and performance at every step of our masonry restoration. The result will be a perfect masonry rehabilitation that is as strong as it is beautiful, and it will give you many more years of use.
Choose the Service That Suits
You are invited to contact us for more information on our masonry services, including:
- Historic Preservation: Making repairs to historic properties while respecting traditional materials and designs
- Monument Rehabilitation: Bring back the grandeur and beauty of our nation’s important historical monuments
- Structural Repair: Larger-scale restoration projects that turn back the hands of time on old, crumbling masonry
Come and find out how Houck has become the top name in PA for quality masonry restoration and repair.