Roofing Systems and Preventative Maintenance from Houck
Your commercial or industrial roof is your barrier against the outside environment. Your roof has to withstand water, snow, sleet, hail and debris 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days per year. A small leak can damage your facility and equipment, while a larger leak can force you to shut down your operation completely. Since that isn’t an option, you need to ensure that the contractor you choose to install and repair your commercial roof system knows exactly what they’re doing.
With extensive experience installing, servicing and maintaining industrial roofs in and around Harrisburg, Lancaster, York and the surrounding mid-Atlantic region, Houck knows exactly what building owners and facility managers need. Our skilled technicians are highly trained to work on commercial and industrial low- and steep-slope roofs, singly-ply, built-up and modified systems, copper, slate, tile and shingles, as well as structural and architectural metal systems.
Commercial roofing has a unique set of requirements. Although creating a barrier against the environment is the prime function, a commercial roof should also be attractive and aesthetically-pleasing, adding to the overall appeal of the building. To understand your unique requirements and expectations, a Houck representative will visit your location. We will discuss your roofing project and provide a comprehensive estimate.
Industrial roofing is a general term that covers many different roofing systems that can be applied to industrial, institutional and commercial buildings. We take into account the size, slope, complexity and environment of your location and propose the best-adapted solution. The common industrial and commercial roofing systems we install include:
- Rubber: Rubber roofing solutions are extremely resistant to impacts and the effects of sun and heat. When applied properly over your existing roof by an experienced contractor like Houck, an industrial rubber roof requires little maintenance. It is also an excellent solution for complex, multi-level industrial roofs that could otherwise be difficult to install or repair.
- White Heat-welded (TPO, PVC, KEE): This single-ply, reflective roofing membrane is a popular low-slope roofing system choice because of its high durability. With its high-resistance capabilities and the excellent performance of the hot-air-welded seams, this system offers the ability to withstand exposure and extreme environmental conditions. These systems offer longevity with advanced protection against heat aging and UV degradation.
- Modified: Modified bitumen roofs are extremely effective at resisting expansion and contraction due to the sun and heat. This roofing system is typically thicker than other roofing types, and offers excellent water and temperature resistance. These systems can be cold adhesive- or hot asphalt-applied. The method used is dependent upon the nature and material of the building. As an experienced contractor, Houck will always choose the right solution for your building, taking into account your location, building type and budget.
- BUR: BUR stands for built-up roof, and is used to describe industrial roofing systems that make use of asphalt, coal tar or other adhesives, stones, gravel or other aggregates to provide a strong, resistant layer of protection. Initial waterproof layers add further water and moisture protection.
- Liquid-applied: Liquid-applied systems provide a seamless, waterproofing solution that can be applied to a variety of roofing systems to extend roof life significantly and cut down on potential energy use. These systems are extremely easy to maintain and repair and deliver high resistance to weather, chemicals and mold/mildew. The ease of application combined with the rapid curing time makes these systems ideal for facilities that maintain constant operation. Liquid-applied roofing systems are available in a wide variety of colors and can be customized to fit the needs of the facility. With the use of liquid-applied roofing products, Houck can work with you to add custom roof walkways to your system, and any areas of ponding water can be addressed and made watertight.
- Metal Roofing Systems and Metal Paneling: Houck offers a wide variety of metal roofing and metal fabrication and installation services – including standing seam systems, copper installation and repairs and metal snow rail and snow retention systems. We also offer custom fabricated architectural metal paneling and installation of coping, gutters, louvers, flashings and fascia covers. Metal roofing solutions are designed to withstand air and water penetration, prolong the life of your building and require minimal maintenance
With so many commercial and industrial roofing systems available, Houck will take the time necessary to understand your particular setting and needs in order to craft the right solution for you. We hope to be your go-to contractor for commercial roof repair and maintenance.
In addition to the wide variety of roofing systems we offer, Houck also specializes in providing quality preventative roof maintenance services. It’s one thing to have a high-quality, long-lasting roof installed, but with a little preventative maintenance, we can help prolong the life of your roof system and minimize damage from snow, ice and other debris. Houck offers the following services through our preventative roof maintenance programs:
- Mechanical Support: If you’re looking to have equipment installed on or through your roof, it’s imperative to ensure that any holes and openings are properly sealed to render your roof waterproof. Our craftspeople will work closely with any mechanical equipment suppliers and installers to ensure a clean, leak-free installation that doesn’t degrade your roof.
- Coating Systems: Roof coatings serve as an effective alternative for roof replacements. At Houck, we can apply an advanced coating system that gives new life to your roof with minimal changes to its appearance. For older buildings with a classic style, replacing the roof can decrease the appeal and value of the building. The experienced craftspeople at Houck will work with you to apply a restorative roof coating that protects your facility while achieving the look you desire.
- Snow and Ice Removal: Winter is especially hard on roofs due to the buildup of ice and snow. This type of harsh weather can allow water to back up and work its way into your building, and ice and heavy snow can cause damage to your roof. At Houck, we employ safe working techniques and utilize the appropriate equipment to remove snow and ice buildup while preventing damage to your structure. With over 70 years of experience serving Central Pennsylvania and the entire mid-Atlantic region, trust Houck to remove snow and ice accumulation before there is a problem.
- Inspection Reports: After a thorough inspection of your roof by our team at Houck, we create a diagnostic roof inspection report. Our report details the current state of your roof, points out any concerns that need immediate attention and suggests any maintenance items you should consider. Houck was at the forefront of providing this type of detailed information to building owners and facility managers across the mid-Atlantic region, and we take pride in delivering a comprehensive report that serves as an effective template for staying ahead of future roof repairs or maintenance needs.
- Roof Maintenance Service Agreement Program: Even a small leak in your commercial or industrial roof can lead to big problems if it’s not taken care of quickly and efficiently. At Houck, we understand the importance of avoiding leaks in the first place, and the best way to accomplish this is to employ a regular preventative maintenance program. Contact us today and we can assess your roof and put in place the necessary preventative roof maintenance program to keep it in top shape.
We hope to be your go-to contractor for commercial roof repair and maintenance. Give us a call at 800-458-2122 or contact us online today to speak with a friendly Houck representative about your roofing or roof maintenance needs.