The condition of your roof is important for the protection and efficiency of your commercial property. As your roof gets older, its ability to withstand the elements decreases.When this occurs, not only is your building more difficult to heat in winter and cool in summer, but water, wind, and snow can cause damage to your roof, walls, and equipment.
Thankfully, there are some common issues that can be avoided if you perform some regular roof maintenance tasks. In fact, it’s possible to even prolong the life of your roof. At Houck, we can recommend a commercial roof maintenance plan that corrects these common issues:
- Cracked roofing materials: Over time, all roofing systems will break down. Flat-roofed commercial and industrial buildings are subject to extreme conditions, such as sun, rain, snow, and ice. Cracks in bitumen or EPDM roofs allow water and moisture to infiltrate the system, causing damage to the insulation and decking. In the winter months, that moisture can freeze and crack, resulting in additional damage.
- Clogged drains: Clogged drains on your roof can lead to ponding water, which could create seepage into your roofing system and walls. Drains can easily get clogged with dirt and debris, leaves, plant matter or loose roofing materials. Eave troughs and downspouts also need to be checked and cleaned regularly to avoid stoppage.
- Loose flashing: The flashing around the edges of your industrial or commercial building can become loose over time — especially in high-wind areas. When this occurs, rain and moisture can easily penetrate under your roof and along the top edges of your walls. At Houck, we can repair roof flashing as soon as it comes loose, becomes damaged or displaced.
- Ponding water: If your roof wasn’t properly designed and installed, or if it has settled over time, certain areas can allow for water accumulation. When water doesn’t flow off your roof correctly, it can eventually cause swelling and cracking of your bitumen or asphalt, especially in winter.
- Punctures: In single-ply roofing membranes, even a small puncture can cause a leak. This issue is common if you frequently have contractors on your roof for installing or inspecting HVAC equipment or other rooftop equipment. Small tears in roofing membrane can grow quickly, so they require prompt attention.
Our team will inspect and report on these issues and recommend the correct solution. We’ll also put in place a custom industrial roof maintenance plan that eliminates issues before they create a hindrance for your business. Regular roof inspections help to ensure that your roof remains leak-free. By educating yourself on common roof issues, you will be better equipped to notice warning signs and begin treatment in order to avoid costly repairs in the future.
Preventative roof maintenance can help to protect the financial value and integrity of your industrial or commercial property. Contact us today for a comprehensive roof evaluation.