Monument Rehabilitation Project — Pennsylvania
This National Park Service monument was constructed from 1914-17 as a tribute to General George Washington and the Continental Army. Moisture infiltration had caused deterioration of the structural steel and granite.
Houck, along with a nationally recognized engineering firm, completely enclosed the monument for several months to allow all moisture to dissipate before beginning rehabilitation. Once the monument was dry, Houck installed new structural steel, replaced granite stones, repointed the granite mortar joints and recoated the metal roof.